Learning Systems Thinking
The following are a set of references which are considered to provide sound support for someone endeavoring to learn more about Systems Thinking.
- Their mission is to develop Systems Citizens in K-12 education who use systems thinking, system dynamics, and an active, learner-centered approach to meet the interconnected challenges that face them at personal, community, and global levels.
Systems Thinking in Schools A Waters Foundation Project
- Their vision is to deliver academic and lifetime benefits to students through the effective application of systems thinking concepts, habits and tools in classroom instruction and school improvement.
- Numerous activities in support of the adoption of a Systemic Perspective.
- A series of programs intended to support the development of one's capacity to develop an understanding of a situation to an extent where, in conjunction with the relevant stakeholders, a strategy may be developed, and appropriate action may be taken, for addressing the situation with a high level of confidence that implementing the strategy will produce the intentioned results and there is not likely to be a myriad of unexpected consequences.
Applying Systems Thinking and Common Archetypes to Organizational Issues from isee systems
- How your organization thinks about problems has a lot to do with the quality of solutions it applies. All too often, organizations rush through problem solving, overlook the relationships between contributing factors, and fail to test assumptions before implementing an ineffective “fix.”
Managing Complexity: A Systems Approach from Open University
- Do you need to change the way you think when faced with a complex situation? This unit examines how systemic thinking and practice enables you to cope with the connections between things, events and ideas. By taking a broader perspective complexity becomes manageable and it is easier to accept that gaps in knowledge can be acceptable.
Introduction to System Dynamics U.S. Department of Energy by Michael J. Radzicki an Robert A. Taylor
- Welcome to the Office of Policy and International Affairs's Introduction to System Dynamics (V1.0). This online book was written to introduce system dynamics, a powerful methodology for framing, understanding, and discussing complex policy issues and problems.
Model Thinking by Scott E Page at University of Michigan
- We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it?
- Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one.
System Dynamics in Education A Guided Study Program
- The System Dynamics in Education Project's (SDEP) Guided Study program was a Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) course offered to increase understanding of System Dynamics and its applicability to K-12 Education.
- Road Maps is a self-study guide to learning system dynamics. It is organized as a series of chapters, and was developed by the System Dynamics in Education Project (SDEP) at MIT under the direction of Professor Jay Forrester. Ten chapters of Road Maps are available for download. Road Maps teaches the reader how to identify different kinds of systems all around us and how to model these systems. Road Maps can be a resource for both beginners and advanced system dynamics modelers, and requires no previous system dynamics knowledge and only basic math skills.
System Dynamics Self Study MIT Open Courseware
- Many books and thousands of papers cover the field of system dynamics. With all of these resources available, it can be difficult to know where to begin. The System Dynamics in Education Project at MIT put together these resources to help people sort through the vast library of books and papers on system dynamics. This course site includes a collection of papers and computer exercises entitled “Road Maps,” as well as a collection of assignments and solutions that were initially part of a guided study to system dynamics. Note that while the level of the course indicated in the upper right corner of the screen is "Undergraduate / Graduate," the material is suitable for people ranging from K-12 students to chief executives of corporations.
Systems Thinking METU Open Course Ware
- Inquiry and research. Methods of science. Fundamental systems concepts and notions. Systems thinking as a mode of inquiry; historical and methodological account. Contrasting and clarifying the systems position vis-à-vis science. The relation between systems thinking and operational research. Principal stains of systems thinking and the systems approaches.
SD4Ed Wiki by Richard Turnock
- The purpose of this Wiki is collaboration about curriculum for teaching System Dynamics (SD). This Wiki is for members who believe System Dynamics is needed for understanding general policies in public education organizations. Members support using System Dynamics in public presentations such as teaching.
Systems Thinking and Practice from Open University
- What is systems thinking and practice? The essence of systems thinking and practice is in ‘seeing’ the world in a particular way, because how you ‘see’ things affects the way you approach situations or undertake specific tasks. This unit will help you to learn about the problems of defining a system and meet some of the key concepts used in systems theory: boundary, environment, positive and negative feedback, etc.
- Systems Diagramming from Open University
- Systems Modeling from Open University
- Courses in System Dynamics Resource List at System Dynamics Society
- CC Modeling Systems by Diana Fisher
- Systems Science Organizations
- Systems Thinking World Archived Discussions
- Systems Thinking World Videos
- Model Thinking Course by Scott Page, University of Michigan
- Model Thinking Course Videos by Scott Page
- Powersim Studio Best Practice Manual by Leonard A. Malczynski
- Systems Thinking A Wiki by Bill Seitz
- Khan Academy
- Saylor.org Free and open collection of college level courses.
- TED offers free video lessons for high schools and college students
- TED Education Channel on YouTube
- Coursera Coperative undertaking by Princeton, Stanford, University of Michigan, University of Pennsylvania
- Smart Sparrow
Systems Thinking World Discussions
Systems Thinking World Q&A * Gene Bellinger