Systems Thinking World Group Rules
Systems Thinking World was established with the following premise and purpose.
- Premise: We believe a systemic perspective provides the best foundation for creating effective approaches for dealing with challenges and shaping a better tomorrow.
- Purpose: Create content and foster interactions which further understanding of the value of a systemic perspective and enables thinking and acting systemically.
If we believe Systems Thinking is valuable paradigm then shouldn't we actually be an example of what we believe? The implication being that at Systems Thinking World we really should be demonstrating the value of a Systemic Perspective. Within this context the following guidelines have been established for approving new posts for the discussion group.
New Submissions. All new discussion/promotion submissions are moderated. Once a Discussion, or Promotion, has been approved members may post to them without moderation. Any post receiving two inappropriate flags by participants will be automatically deleted by LinkedIn.
- Presents an intent to pursue understanding particular situation, or investigate new knowledge creation/sharing, using one or more of the established Systems Thinking Models or Methods.
- The first line needs to be a short question, or statement of intent, for after the initial post the first line is all others see in their email to remind them what the discussion is about.
- The body of the post needs to
- Provide supporting information so others have a context for the initial statement
- Identify the Systems Thinking Models or Methods to be employed in the investigation
- Provide relevant references others might need to understand the context
- Identify what is to be done with the result of the investigation. Is the intent to write a paper, present the findings to some group or organization, develop a video, publish a model, etc.?
- Note that those wanting to participate may not be familiar with the model or method selected so the initiator should be prepared to provide references if participants request them.
- The initiator is expected to participate in and manage the investigation endeavoring to keep it on track in a professional manner intended to further understanding.
- The quality and character of the discussion is the responsibility of all participants. Please note the above comment about posts with two inappropriate flags automatically being deleted by LinkedIn.
- Discussions abandoned by the initiator, if not taken over by another person, will simply evaporate.
- If the submission isn't a basis for a discussion it may qualify as a promotion
- Explicitly systems thinking oriented. This might be an article presenting a systemic perspective, a systems organization function, meeting, seminar, webinars, etc.
- Posts which simply look like an attempt to drive traffic to a website or blog get deleted.
- If it doesn't qualify as a Promotion it ends up in the bit bucket.
- There is no longer a Jobs tab in Systems Thinking World. The majority of the posts which might on the surface look like jobs posts were actually just attempts to prey on the current situation of job seekers.
Membership Requests. Requests to join Systems Thinking World are reviewed in an attempt to ensure the group is not invaded by spammers. As such there are certain restrictions placed on new members to the group and new members of LinkedIn for a period of time.
Creative Commons. Posts by members of the Systems Thinking World group are considered to be Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike” (CC BY-NC-SA). This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms.
This I Believe
The following is the initial post for the This I Believe discussion at Systems Thinking World on LinkedIn.
- I initiated Systems Thinking World under the following premise:
- We believe a systemic perspective provides the best foundation for creating effective approaches for dealing with challenges and shaping a better tomorrow. Our purpose is to create content and foster interactions which furthers understanding of a systemic perspective and enables thinking and acting systemically. To "Enable a Systems Thinking World."
- I wanted this discussion group to be the support mechanism that was missing during my initial 35+ year quest for understanding. I though that it would be marvelous if those who shared my passion for Systems Thinking could share their learning and support the learning and development of others and possibly compress the learning cycle. And I still want it to be all those things.
- My message to those who seem to be a legend in their own mind, are continually intent on demonstrating that they think they're the smartest person on the planet, and simply must create meteoric posts that crash into discussions adding no value that anyone can fathom, your days are numbered.
- I encourage members of this group to flag posts that they consider inappropriate to the particular discussion they appear in so the posts can be reviewed by the group managers and deleted if they concur. If the negative value added continues an individual's posts will first be moderated and the individual subsequently blocked and deleted if needs be.
- Please join with me in an endeavor to develop a community that continually strives to learn how to learn together for the continued development of our collective future.
- Gene Bellinger
- Host Systems Thinking World
- April 12, 2012
Systems Thinking References
- Systems Thinking
- Systems Thinking Definitions
- System of Systems Methodologies (SOSM)
- Systems Approaches, Methodologies, Techniques and Applications Compiled by Rob Young
- LinkedIn Group Roles Comparison Table
- Discussion Types from Case Western Reserve UCITE
- Facilitation, Coaching, Mentoring, and Training: Understanding the Differences from International Association of Facilitators
Systems Thinking World Discussions
Systems Thinking World Q&A * Gene Bellinger